Social Security 1099 Forms

by admin on August 13, 2020 · Taxes

As of today Social Security has completed mailing form 1099 to all Disability and Retirement beneficiaries. The amounts on this 1099 have been reported to IRS for tax purposes. Remember, Social Security benefits (with the exception of SSI) are not exempt from Federal income tax. Whether or not you have to pay income tax at the end of the year depends on how much other income you receive and what tax bracket you fall into.

If you did not receive your form 1099 form Social Security or have lost it, today is the first day to call and request a replacement. You do not have to have the paper copy to file your income tax; a Social Security representative can give you the amounts over the phone by calling Social Security’s 800 number.

There are three amounts you will need: the amounts paid to you by check or direct deposit, the amount paid to Medicare for premiums, and the sum of the two amounts. If you had payments returned to Social Security for any reason (for example if your bank account was closed and the direct deposit was returned to Social Security) there will be another important amount on the 1099. This amount shows money returned to Social Security.

When you have money returned to Social Security for a given tax year, the total amount paid to you by check or direct deposit will be over by the amount returned. Social Security has to account for money that was reissued to you; as a result, any money that was returned and reissued will also appear in the total you were paid for the year. For tax purposes you need to make sure and use the amount that was returned to Social Security or you will be off on your total annual income.

To request a replacement 1099 or to get the amounts you were paid for tax year 2005, contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213.

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Jane Y. Morgan January 15, 2010 at 6:38 am

I mistakenly throw out my 1099 form that just arrived. I am trying to find the way to get a replacement so I can file my income tax. I was told not to go to my local SS office so I am trying to do this through e-mail
Will someone please e-mail me with this information.
Thank You for you help.

Melissa Hall January 23, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I was just wondering if the form 1099 could be sent to me on my email if I haven’t received it yet due to moving to new address and my forwarding mail hasn’t started coming here yet?

Thank you,

Melissa Hall

marilyn Stahl February 21, 2011 at 8:16 pm

did I get a $250 check for the year 2010……how can I find out need it for my taxes….do not have a record of it

Connie Spraul March 25, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Do I have to send the SS 1099 w/my federal or state income tax forms. I assume no but I wanted to be sure

Pamela Nilles-Johnson March 31, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I can’t seem to find my 1099 with my annual $ received for the yr 2010. Can I retrieve it off the internet then just print it?

marilyn long April 15, 2011 at 8:58 am

My parents can not find their 1099 form. Is there a way to receive this information via e-mail? If so what information do you need?
Thank you for your time in this matter.

Raymond L Brewer May 25, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I had to pay a lot of taxes this year in one lump because social security did not take out any income tax. I want to have that done this year. How do I have that done? I moved when I retired and did not get a 1099 .

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: